Friday, August 17, 2012

Holly Kopman: 'No crying in design'

http://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/stylemakerspotlight/article/Holly-Kopman-No-crying-in-design-3794396.php

It was two of Holly Kopman's great passions - music and design - that brought the St. Louis native to the Bay Area nearly 20 years ago: She moved here to follow the Grateful Dead, as well as study interior design at Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. Kopman owes her interest in the latter to her uncle, who was an interior designer. "He taught me the importance of a well-designed house and how a home affects a person's outlook on life," she says.

Kopman worked at Rebecca Bradley Interior Design in San Francisco before starting her eponymous firm ( www.hollyakopman.com) in 2000. On her website, she writes: "The process of interior design should be fun. There is no crying in design." The phrase is one she did indeed utter to a client who had burst into tears after a dining table the client purchased didn't pan out. Fortunately, Kopman's collaborative approach to design can serve as the antidote for such situations. "The most enjoyable aspect of my job is working closely with my clients and vendors to create custom lighting and furniture that fits my client's needs," she says.

Longtime and repeat clients are not uncommon for Kopman. She has been working with one homeowner since 2005. "Every year we decide to add another dimension to their house," she explains.

"It is such a pleasure for me to see how a house can evolve with a family." Forging close relationships with her clients is a win-win: "They completely trust my design aesthetic, which makes the design process so much smoother because they let me handle the details and they just sit back and reap the benefits."
The Kopman cheat sheet

Pillow talk: "Don't underestimate the power of the pillow. Attention to detail is very important and pillows can pull a whole room together. Lovely trims and properly sized pillows with the right fill add a little luxury to any sofa or chair. I like to have my seamstress make custom pillows with fabrics from Dedar, which is an amazing line, or from vintage textiles." ( www.dedar.com)

Fresh paint: "One trick I like to use is to paint my walls and trims the same color but in different sheens. This gives the room dimension, makes uneven ceiling lines vanish, and allows the furniture and details to really take center stage."

See the light: "Add a Lucite base, as well as a new lampshade from Blanche Field in Boston, to any average lamp or glass jug and you have a work of art on your hands. These two simple updates work every time." ( www.blanchefield.com)

A good vintage: "Invest in something that has some history and it will remain timeless. I know that there are many readily available options to choose from and they can be had instantaneously, but there is something to be said for an antique, one-of-a-kind piece. Allow that to become the focal point in your room, as antiques give a room soul. One of my favorite places to shop for antiques is Candace Barnes." ( www.candacebarnes.com)

On remodeling: "Get the bones of the house right and do not miss details. Properly sized windows, doors, trim and great hardware are a must. There is a subliminal quality that you can feel in a home when you walk through the door. The acoustics of the room are a tell-tale sign for me."

Great wall: "Wallpaper the inside of your closets. I love to add the element of surprise when you open a closet door. It makes everyone smile to see a well-dressed closet."
A few favorites

Custom lighting: "It is like the jewelry of the room. The whole room can be very simple, like a little black dress, but with the addition of a stand-out piece the room is elevated to a new level. David Weeks is one of my favorites; his lighting is like floating art when installed." (www.davidweeks

studio.com)

Heath Ceramics: "I try to use tiles from Heath in all of my projects; I admire the way they glaze and shape each tile. They are local, and I like to work with local vendors to lower my carbon footprint. I also think their plate ware is to die for and love giving serving pieces as gifts." (www.heath

ceramics.com)

Agraria: "I love their scented candles and tassels. The scents are complex and spicy, setting the tone for any room. Cedar Rose is my favorite of their fragrances." ( www.agrariahome.com)

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/stylemakerspotlight/article/Holly-Kopman-No-crying-in-design-3794396.php#ixzz23nQ1dfc9

No comments:

Post a Comment